We offer Dwarf Hybrid Coconut Seedling, after 4 – 5 months in the main nursery bed, seedlings are ready for planting out in the field and this should coincide with the onset of rains. Proper selection of seedlings in the main nursery alone ensures a 10% improvement in yield. Below are major considerations for coconut seedlings:
- Shoots should have a girth of 10 – 12 cm at the collar with about 6 leaves.
- Short and thick leaf stalks.
- Seedlings should have a robust healthy appearance and be free from pests and diseases.
Transplanting Dwarf Hybrid Coconut Seedling
- Seedlings should be removed from the main nursery by lifting with a spade and the roots carefully cut. Seedlings should never be lifted from the soil by pulling the leaves or stem.
- It is important to keep the seedlings in the shade and out of the sun and to have them planted as early as possible after removal from the main nursery.
- Once your coconut tree has started growing, water the coconut tree frequently. As long as the soil drains well, you really can’t water it too often.
- Second, growing coconut palms are heavy feeders that require regular, complete fertilizer. Look for a fertilizer that provides both the basic nutrients plus trace nutrients like boron, manganese and magnesium.
- Third, coconut palms are very cold sensitive. If you live in an area that gets cold, provide supplemental light indoors and keep it away from drafts.
- In the hot season, summer, grow it outdoors and make sure you place it in a very sunny and warm spot.