Pride One F1 cabbage is a leafy green, cool-season vegetable with hardy leaves. Cabbage is a biennial plant grown as an annual vegetable crop for its dense leaved heads.
Features of Pride One F1 Cabbage
- Main growing areas: Temperate, subtropical, and tropical climates. Main areas in Africa and the South-East of Europe.
- Maturity: Medium maturing variety, around 80 days after transplanting.
- Crop cycle and ecology: Year-round in tropical areas and for Summer and Autumn in cool temperate areas and Winter in warm temperate areas.
- Plant habit: Medium to large plant frame with a strong root system. Waxy leaves provide good cover. Very good field standing ability and strong against head-splitting. Resistance against Fusarium yellows.
- Fruit or Head information: Head size of 3 – 4 kg of blue-green colour, and round shape. Mild sweet-tasting cabbages.
- Disease resistances: High Resistance: Foc:1
Planting Requirements and practices
- When seedlings reach about 5 inches tall, thin to leave the desired space between them. If you wish, transplant the thinned seedlings elsewhere.
- Mulch thickly around the area to retain moisture and regulate soil temperature.
- Water 2 inches per square foot per week.
- The optimum soil temperature for growth is 60 to 65° F. Young plants exposed to temperatures below 45°F for some time may bolt or form loose heads. Cover plants if cold weather is expected.
- Fertilize 2 weeks after transplanting with a balanced (10-10-10) fertilizer.
- Three weeks later, add a nitrogen-rich fertilizer; cabbage needs nitrogen in the early stages.
- Practice crop rotation with cabbages to avoid a buildup of soil-borne diseases
Harvesting and Storage
Cabbage can be harvested when the desired size is reached and the heads are well firm. The most successful technique for harvesting cabbage is cutting. Cut at the lowest point possible, leaving the loose outer leaves attached to the stalk. This will allow for a later cabbage harvest of sprouts which will grow on the stem after the cabbage head is removed.
There are no reviews yet.