Cocopeat is a multi-purpose growing medium made out of coconut husk. It is an ideal growing medium for plants due to its high water holding capacity, acceptable EC & pH, porosity, and good drainage/ aeration.
- Our coco peat, which comes in 5kg blocks, is washed and buffered.
- It is 100% organic and free from pest, weeds or diseases.
- One 5kg block of cocopeat fills about 13 seedling trays of 104 cells (4cm x 4cm plug).
Types of cocopeat
- Unwashed coco peat.
- Washed coco peat.
- Washed buffered coco peat.
- Buffered coco peat is the best. The reason why most people complain about cocopeat is because they buy washed or unwashed coco peat which are not as superior as the buffered ones.
- Unwashed coco peat is the natural raw form of the product, which has a higher EC level.
- Washed cocopeat has been washed using clean, natural spring water to lower the EC level.
- Buffered coco peat (sometimes known as treated) has been treated to reduce the potassium and sodium chloride levels, and to increase the nitrogen level. It also has a lower EC level.
- Mixed with sand, compost, and fertilizer to make good quality potting soil.
- It can be re-used up to three times with little loss of yield. However, cocopeat from diseased plants should not be re-used.
- Animal Bedding: It can also used as a bedding in litter boxes, animal farms, and pet houses to absorb animal waste.
- It is used as a soil conditioner.
- It is useful to deter snails from delicate plantings, and as a growing medium in intensive glasshouse (greenhouse) horticulture.
- Also used as a substrate to grow mushrooms.
- They can hold large quantities of water, just like a sponge. This will help to considerably maintain soil moisture level.