The watermelon kaolack seeds grow as oval-shaped fruit, large size, light green peel. This cylindrical round melon is called an icebox type because it is sizeable enough to fit in the refrigerator.
- These seeds are widely adapted, light green on the outside and bright red, firm, and fine-grained inner flesh that is super sweet.
- It has wonderful resistance to fusarium and anthracnosis (Colletotrichum legendarium).
- This product is well-appreciated and one of the most popular watermelon seeds grown in Nigeria.
Watermelon Kaolack: Product features
- Sowing: 350-400g per hectare.
- Distance: 4-5 seeds per hole. Thin out when sprouted leaving the strongest plant.
- Days of maturity: 70-90 days.
- Package size: 500g.
- Fruit weight: 5-6kg.
- Fruit skin colour: Light green, with fine medium green stripes.
- Inner flesh features: Red colour, crunchy and sweet.
Plant population and spacing
- A generally adopted spacing of between 4,000 to 8,000 plants per hectare is recommended.
- Optimum germination temperature: 27-32°C, with night temperature not lower than 24°C.
- Optimum growth temperatures at night are 18-20°C, and day 24-30°C, and for ripening 15- 25°C. 2.2
Transplanting watermelon seeds
- The seeds must be transplanted and watered immediately after they have been obtained from the nursery.
- Planting trays should be kept cool and moist in the shade until used.
- When transplanting, ensure that the roots are not be damaged by the application of unnecessary pressure around the root module.
There are no reviews yet.