Supergene seedling (Malaysian Dwarf) Oil palm grows into a tree that is shorter but with a bigger dumpy body and thicker stem to accommodate more crops hence leading to a higher yield. They are hybrid oil palm varieties native to Malaysia.
Features of Malaysian Supergene seedling
Malaysian Supergene takes 6-8 months to flower and 2-3 years to fruit while Tenera fruits in 4-5 years. the parent’s materials of supergene seedling are by far superior to Tenera. the nuts are bigger, the productivity is higher, the waiting period before production is greatly reduced. super gene has the genetic potential to produce 90 litres of oil per palm per annum this species (supergene) is part of what makes Malaysia the number one palm producer in the world due to its prolific production there.
- Malaysian Super Gene seedling is a hybrid.
- Super gene fruits in 2-3 years while
- The parent’s materials of Super Gene are by far superior to.
- The nuts are bigger, the productivity is higher, the waiting period before production is greatly reduced.
- Shorter tree, easy to reach, subsequently, the harvesting cost is reduced.
- Tree diameter and circumference is bigger, supports more branch and fruits, reduction of gravity effect allows easy transfer of nutrients from the soil to fruit.
- A wider gap between the leaf stems results in increased photosynthesis for more robust growth.