What is a blast freezer?
Simply put, a blast freezer is simply a freezer which is extremely cold. Blast freezers are sometimes mentioned as shock freezers. They rapidly bring down the temperature of (usually) foodstuffs or fresh produce, freezing them very quickly.
- Apart from the conventional cold storeroom, you’re mostly conversant with, blast freezers operate a process of pushing cold air at high speed across a foodstuff so as to freeze the merchandise as rapidly as possible.
- They are widely utilized in the frozen foods industry for things like iced cream, pre-prepared meals, and vegetables, or fish. Many commercial kitchens also utilize these freezer storage units.
- NPI Blast Freezers were crafted by HVAC engineers and food technologists to quickly reduce the temperature of any food products to a temperature usually between -25⁰C to -35⁰C to form the products which are safe for storage and sales distribution. Our blast freezer models are easy to use, affordable, resilient, and operationally efficient.
- If there are any bespoke specifications you’ve got, ask us today!
Why use a Blast Freezer?
When you freeze food (or anything else) the water inside crystallizes into ice. The lengthier the freezing takes, the larger the ice crystals in the item. Larger ice crystals damage materials by causing phenomena like cell bursting, which affects the quality and flavor of foods.
Rapid freezing causes the crystals formed to be very small, which does less damage and preserves food at a better quality. Even more usefully, once the food is “blast frozen” it is often moved into a traditional freezer for extended-term storage – as long because it stays cold enough for the food to remain frozen, of course.
Safe Freezing with Blast Freezers
- Aside from the integrity, quality, and taste of the food, blast freezing also offers a health and safety benefit because the extreme cold slows down the proliferation of bacteria(such as Escherichia coli, Salmonella, etc.). As long as the food is handled safely then put into the freezer immediately after preparation, there’s a greatly reduced risk of contamination.
- One of the most important benefits of blast freezers is that they have the power to freeze plenty of produce in as little as 24 hours. This super-fast process ensures that microorganisms (bacteria) have little time to develop and keeps products fresh.
- Another fantastic advantage of the blast freezer is that it can help to preserve nutrients in food. The speedy freezing process effectively stops rapid nutrient deterioration.
- Blast freezers also can be valuable retain nutrients in ready-cooked meals, making them a crucial asset to possess because the demand for healthier frozen goods grows across the planet.
So who are blast freezers beneficial for?
Butchers, bakers, retailers, food groups, and even pharmaceutical companies have all reaped the advantages of portable blast freezing units. Their versatility means they will be used across several industries and for all kinds of temperature-sensitive products.