Heteroclarias juveniles are hybrid products of the cross between male Heterobranchus longifilis and female Clarias gariepinus.
Features of Heteroclarias juveniles
- They are very rugged and disease resistant.
- These species consume less feed when compared to Clarias species.
- They attain bigger sizes than Clarias spp, and they weigh much higher at harvest.
- They thrive well on a wide range of plant protein based fish feeds.
- With comparatively longer post-harvest survivability, they are thus preferable to buyers.
- Its white flesh gives it a better taste than catfish species.
Precautions when stocking ponds with juveniles
- Reduce stress from point of transportation to point of introduction into the pond.
- Avoid exposure to heat by covering transport containers
- Avoid shaking containers unnecessarily while transporting.