- Antibiotics should be used following safety precautions and their withdrawal periods must be strictly adhered to.
- Dexamethasone 2mg/mL (as sodium phosphate) in a clear, colourless solution. Available in a 100mL glass bottle.
Action of Dexa
- Dexamethasone is a very active synthetic glucocorticosteroid with a neoglucogenic, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, and antiphlogistic effect.
- The water-soluble sodium salt has a rapid therapeutic action and i/v injection is therefore indicated for the treatment of acute conditions, such as shock.
- This product has a minimal level of mineralocorticoid activity.
- Metabolic disorders such as acetonaemia (bovine ketosis) and pregnancy toxemia.
- Allergic conditions (urticaria).
- Inflammatory muscle and joint conditions (arthritis, bursitis, myositis, laminitis, tendonitis, synovitis).
- Infections in combination with antibiotics.
- Therapeutic induction of parturition in cattle during the latter stages of pregnancy.
- Pruritic skin conditions (eczema) and otitis.
Dexa 0.2%: Contraindication
- Diabetes, osteoporosis, fractures, heart disease, renal insufficiency, and pregnancy.
- Allergic/anaphylactic reactions may occur in some sensitive animals.
- As with other corticosteroid therapy, long-term use may produce atrophy of the adrenal cortex and decreased natural adrenocortical hormone production.
- May cause mild skin and mild eye irritation.
- May affect development and/or reproduction.
- Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
- After long-term treatment, withdraw corticosteroid therapy gradually.
- Do not stop suddenly.
- If skin or hair contact occurs remove contaminated clothing and flush skin and hair with running water. If in eyes, wash out immediately with water.
- Store below 15°C, protected from light.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Cows: 24 hours (2 milkings).
- Sheep and goats: 48 hours (4 milkings).
- Cattle: 1 day.
- Sheep, goats, horses, and pigs: 2 days.