Ovaprim is a potent injectable ovulating or spermiating agent containing a dopamine inhibitor used to promote and facilitate reproduction of many fish species.
- Ovaprim, the world-leading spawning agent, is needed by fish farmers for inducement of reproduction.
- This product is safe for fish intended for human consumption.
Ovaprim: Product information
- Ovaprim is a potent ovulating/spermiating agent used to promote and facilitate the reproduction of many species of fish.
- It is a stable solution that contains GnRH (gonadotropin-releasing hormone) and a dopamine inhibitor. The product utilizes the fish’s own endocrine system to safely induce maturation and coordinate spawning dates.
- When used in the normal spawning cycle, Ovaprim can synchronize and coordinate maturation in treated fish by inducing maturation without affecting viability or fecundity, resulting in highly predictable ovulation, with high egg fertility and viability.
- Ovaprim has been tested and proven effective in a wide range of table and ornamental fish species.
Ovaprim: Product benefits
- Induce maturation within a spawning season
- Advance spawning date
- Coordinate and synchronize spawning times
- Increase milt production including increased sperm count
- Induce maturation in difficult species
- Induce spawning in the most important and difficult to spawn species
- 0.5mL per kg of fish (by injection).
What is spawning?
Spawning is the release of gametes (mature oocytes/eggs by the female or of sperm/milt by the male) from the gonads (ovaries or testes). It is the final event in the reproductive cycle.
- It is the result of complex interactions between a variety of hormones and different tissues/organs in the fish’s body.
- First, a hormone called “gonadotropin-releasing hormone” (GnRH) is released from the hypothalamus portion of the brain. GnRH, after a cascade of events, stimulates the gonads to cause final maturation and release of oocytes (“eggs”) in females (ovulation), and the release of sperm in males (spermiation).
- In some species of fish, a compound called dopamine naturally blocks this hormone cascade and inhibits egg and sperm production under certain conditions (e.g. exposure to major stressors).
Ovaprim is the product that contains all hormones and other chemicals needed to artificially induce spawning.