Our Violet De Galmi Onion Agritropic Brand (500g) is ideal for planting. DAMANI is a short day onion, Galmi type. Very popular in Subsaharan Africa, this variety is very well adapted to the environmental conditions of this region. Our continuous breeding work on this variety is among others, maintaining a low splitting rate and a bolting rate as low as possible. The bulb is flattened thick with light purple skin and a thin neck. DAMANI has very good storage when it’s harvested to complete maturity (around 80% of falling) and stored in a well-ventilated room.
- Light purple skin
- Flattened thick shape
- Medium size
- Thin neck
- Very pungent
- Violet De Galmi onion requires very good storage in a well-ventilated room and should be protected from the rain
Growing onion seed
- Plant the seeds 1/2″ deep in a flat 2-3 months before the last frost date; keep the soil moist and at room temperature.
- When the tops begin to flop over, cut them off to 3″ to focus the growing on the roots.
- Four weeks before the last frost or when the soil reaches at least 50 degrees F, transplant the seedlings 6″ apart in rows 12″ apart.
- For direct sowing, sow three seeds per inch 1/2″ deep in light, rich soil, and full sun.
- Thin the seedlings 2-6″ apart, depending on the desired size. Thinned onions can be transplanted or used for fresh eating. For companion planting benefits, plant onions with members of the cabbage family, lettuce, or tomatoes; avoid planting onions with peas or beans. In areas with warmer winters, onions may be grown as a fall or winter crop.