The active ingredient of WEEDOFF; Paraquat, is toxic and highly poisonous, thus a few safeguards have been added.
- A blue dye is included to keep it from being confused with beverages such as coffee.
- Its sharp odor to serve as a warning to humans and animals alike to keep off from sprayed areas.
- The most likely route of exposure to paraquat that would lead to poisoning is ingestion (swallowing), thus an emetic agent is also included to cause vomiting if ingested or swallowed.
Application of WEEDOFF contact herbicide
WEEDOFF should be administered by people who are professionals/licensed applicators.
- Apply WEEDOFF using a knapsack or boom sprayer.
- Apply in 200 – 300L of water per hectare.
- For aerial spraying, apply in 50 liters of water per hectare.
- Half fill the spray tank before adding the required amount of WEEDOFF, then completely fill the tank to the capacity required.
Dosage for Weedoff application.
|Plantation and Tree crops: Oil palm, Rubber, Cocoa, Sugarcane, Citrus, Plantain||1.5 – 3.0. Do not spray on immature stems/trunk below 3 years|
|Zero tillage of crop plants: Maize, Cowpea, Cotton||1.5 – 3.0|
|Uncropped Plant||3.0 – 4.0|
|Desiccation and Defoliation||2.0 – 3.0|
- The extent of poisoning caused by paraquat depends on the amount, route, and duration of exposure and the person’s health condition at the time of the exposure.
- As ingestion is likely to be the primary route of exposure, if poisoning is suspected, avoid any further ingestion and seek medical attention immediately.
- Pre-hospital therapy may include oral administration of activated charcoal or Fuller’s earth in order to bind ingested paraquat.
- If you think you may have been exposed to liquid paraquat on your clothes or body, carefully remove your clothing and dispose of it in a sealed plastic bag.
- Rapidly wash your entire body with soap and water, and get medical care as quickly as possible.