This California Wonder sweet pepper is one of the most popular large bell pepper plants around. The fruit is delicious for snacking, salads, sautéing, stuffing, or other delicious uses.
- These bell peppers pack plenty of crunch and vitamins, including vitamins C and A.
- The 4-inch fruit will be mature about 75 days after planting. Harvest some early and while green but leave enough on the plant to turn red and sweeter. Cut the stem of the pepper; avoid twisting it.
- Large fleshy fruit of 12cm length and 9cm diameter with good keeping quality.
- This product is packaged in 100g tins and is available for nationwide delivery.
- Plant type: Sweet bell pepper
- Edible type: Vegetable
- Vegetable size: 3-4 inches
- Light exposure: Full sun (+6 hrs)
- Spacing: 12 – 15″ (30 – 38cm)
- Seed rate: 1 – 1.5
- Maturity days: 75 days (after transplanting)
- Average yield: 15 – 20 t/ha
How do I grow and care for my California Wonder?
- California Wonder needs lots of heat to grow and for fruits to ripen. The peppers can be planted as soon as night temperatures reach about 60 degrees.
- In colder areas, it helps to warm the ground with black mulch material a week or so before planting.
- Place these peppers in full sun, or a spot that gets at least 6 hours of sun a day.
- Note that bell peppers do not grow well indoors because they need so much sun and heat.
- California Wonder Peppers like fertile soil that drains well, so loosen up dirt down to at least 8 inches before planting.
- Space California Wonder plants at least 18 inches apart. The plants grow to almost 2 feet high.
- You can grow bell peppers in containers, but the pot needs to be large enough to support the plant. This means about 24 inches around at the mouth of the container and at least 18 inches deep.
- Use a high-quality potting mix and add some compost to improve nutrients and drainage.
- Place the container in full sun.