The most common species of hybrid pineapple sucker are Smooth Cayenne and Queen/sugarloaf. However, the Smooth Cayenne hybrid pineapple is the most commonly grown hybrid. In fact, they are tropical fruits such as one that grows under several weather conditions. A hybrid pineapple the traditional are propagated with suckers
- They grow on the central stalk of a large plant having swordlike leaves. Hybrid pineapples are better to cultivate and maintain in terms of weed control and climatic factor.
- This hybrid cultivar is widely consumed than Pineapples of any species. In fact, more than 70% of pineapple grown is from this cultivar.
- They have good flavour and grow all year round.
Another widely consumed hybrid pineapple sucker cultivar is the Queen or Sugarloaf cultivar.
- This cultivar has high sugar content and is the leading cultivar in South Africa.
- They are dwarf, short, very spiny and have dark purplish-green leaves.
- This hybrid cultivar can weigh up to 600-800g and require a pH of 4-4.5.
- The high sugar content of the Queen cultivar makes it unsuitable for canning.
Hybrid pineapple suckers are rich in vitamins, enzymes and antioxidants. They help to build strong bones and aid the digestion of food.
Since they grow best in loamy soil, soils with high organic matter content are required. They also need moderate moisture content and soil fertilized with an equal proportion of Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus.
There are no reviews yet.