Electric Lighting Brooder
This electric lighting brooder is used to heat the environment of younger birds (1 – 10 days old chicks). The purpose of brooding is to raise healthy chicks and provide the required heat (mimicking the natural heat they would have gotten from the mother hen) until they can adapt and regulate their body temperature to the ambient temperature.
The equipment used for this artificial brooding is called a brooder. These are composed of three elements:
- A heat source (electrical; gases like natural gas, methane; liquid fuel like kerosene; solid fuel like coal; wood).
- Reflectors (concentrates the heat emanating from the heating source).
- Brooder guard.
Precaution when using the electric brooding machine
- Check the brooder for proper temperature 24 hours before the arrival of chicks.
- This brooder does not come with a thermostat, thus it works via manual adjustment of height level to control heat intensity. Kindly click here to buy the digital temperature and humidity meter which can be adapted as well.
- Switch on the brooder heating source several hours before the arrival of the chicks to maintain the required brooding temperature.
- Watch the reaction of the chicks to the heating source to find out if the temperature provided is appropriate.
- Thus, the heat intensity can be adjusted by reducing the power of the bulb or raising the heating element higher for the birds.
- In case of too low temperature, there needs to be a supplement to the heating source. Also, the heating source can be further lowered to the ground.