Cherry trees are an excellent choice for home fruit growers. They have showy, fragrant blossoms and they produce very delicious fruits.
- There are many varieties of ornamental cherry trees and almost as many varieties of fruiting cherry trees. Note that we offer the variety best suited for the tropical condition of Nigeria.
- This is a much less expensive option, and it’s even surprisingly easy to grow!
- They usually germinate within 15-20 days after sowing. Seedbeds may be mulched with paddy straw till germination takes place and partial shade may be provided during summer months.
- A fertilizer dose of 750 g N, 325 g P2O5, and 750 g K2O per plant is recommended for cherry.
- A spacing of 7.5 m x 7.5 m has been recommended for poor soils, and for rich, deep, and coastal sandy soils a wider spacing of 10 m x 10 m is prescribed.
- The fruits will be ready for harvest after the fertilization of the flowers.