Improved Nantes Carrot Seeds
Improved Nantes Carrot Seeds is a seed variety produced by Dizengoff whose fruit is small to medium in size, averaging 15-20 centimetres in length and 2-5 centimetres in diameter.
- The fruits are cylindrical in shape with blunt, rounded ends on both the stem and non-stem end.
- The straight roots have smooth, firm skin that ranges from bright orange to orange-red and are connected to long, edible, leafy greens that bear a grassy, vegetal flavour.
- Underneath the surface, the flesh is also orange, fine-grained, crisp, and juicy with little to no core.
- Nantes carrots are crunchy and tender with a mild, sweet taste.
Nantes Carrot: Product features
- Height: 18 – 22”
- Spacing: 2 – 3 inches between plants, 12 – 14 inches between rows
- Depth: 1/4 – 1/2 inch
- Spread: 8 – 10 inches
- Light Required: Full Sun
- Fruit: Bright orange throughout. Sweet, juicy, fine-grained flesh. Straight and smooth.
- Days to maturity: 65 days
- Seed germination: 10 – 15 days
- Soil requirements: Loamy soil, sandy soil
- Growth rate: Moderate growth rate.
- Features: Early determinant type, firm, square-shaped, red fruit with good keeping quality.
- Planting season: Dry and wet seasons
- Nantes carrots are best suited for both raw and cooked applications such as roasting, steaming, baking, grilling, and boiling.
- When raw, the root does not need to be peeled before consumption and can be used on appetizer plates with dips, sliced and tossed into salads, juiced, or blended into sauces.
- In cooked preparations, Nantes carrots are used as a base for soups and stews, lightly sautéed in stir-fries, or roasted to enhance their sweet flavour and coated in brown butter.
- The roots can also be smoked as a vegetarian hot dog or shredded and baked into carrot cakes and carrot puddings.