Livestock Teeth Clipper
The teeth clipper is a handheld instrument used in trimming and cutting the teeth of juvenile livestock especially piglets. The teeth of piglets should be clipped as soon as possible after birth. The piglet is born with 8 teeth. If the teeth are not clipped, the sow’s (mother) udder may be injured by the suckling piglets.
- Removal of the teeth also prevents young pigs from injuring themselves while fighting or playing.
- This tool features a sturdy cutting blade with the spring pressure system.
Why clip the teeth of young pigs?
- Piglets bite the sow (mother) in their fight to get hold of one of her teats and suckle. The pain caused by this disturbs the sow causing her to get up and prevent her young from feeding.
- The cuts to the sow’s udder also allow germs to infect the udder. In their fight to grasp the teat and suckle, piglets will also bite and injure one another.
- The simple practice of clipping the teeth as soon as possible after birth prevents these problems.
When should the teeth be clipped?
- The piglet’s teeth should be cut as soon as possible after its birth. The teeth can be cut when the pig is only 15 minutes old.
- The sow and her young should be separated for as short a time as possible. In order to clip the teeth, you will need either a pair of tooth clippers.
- You will need someone to help you separate the sow and her young.
- You will also need a box containing bedding and a clean empty pen.
Process to clip the teeth
- If the sow is not restrained, separate her from her young and place her in another pen. Take care as the sow with a litter can be dangerous.
- Corner the piglets and keep them together or place them in a box.
- Hold the head and press the corner of the piglet’s mouth so that the jaws open.
- Place the clippers on either side of one pair of teeth making sure that the tongue is not in the way.
- Tilt the head so that the pieces of the teeth will fall out of the mouth.
- Cut the teeth as close as possible to the gums.
- Clean/disinfect/sterilize the clippers before using them on another piglet.
- Operate on the rest of the litter and when you have finished put the piglets back with the sow immediately.
- Ensure you keep young piglets warm at all times. You can use the heating lamp